Marlin 4 is the perfect gateway to trail riding. It's ideal for new riders who want a mountain bike with knobby tires that can double as a rugged commuter. Disc brakes, front suspension, 21 speeds, and mounts for a rack and fenders make this a great bike for new trail riders and campus commuters alike.
It's right for you if...
You want an introductory mountain bike at an incredible price but also want a commuter that's rugged enough to hop curbs on the way to class.
The tech you get
A lightweight aluminum frame with internal routing to protect your cables and add to the bike's sleek look, 21 speeds, a wide range of gearing so you always have the right gear for your terrain, powerful mechanical disc brakes, and a suspension fork that takes the edge off bumps and rough terrain.
The final word
Marlin is made for any adventure. The rack and fender mounts make it a great choice for commuters who want to get a little rad on the way to class or the grocery store.
Why you'll love it
- It's a real mountain bike that's also perfectly suited to daily commutes, rides around campus, or just getting from A to B on any surface
- Rack and fender mounts make it easy to accessorize, so your mountain bike can double as a rugged commuter
- Smaller frame sizes (XS and S) have short-reach brake levers that make it easier and more comfortable for riders with smaller hands to brake confidently
- Marlin models in XS and S frame sizes have a curved top tube and a lower standover height that makes it easier for smaller riders to mount and dismount
- Like every model in the Marlin family, it's backed by Trek's lifetime warranty
- Sizes X-Small – Small: 27.5-inch
- Sizes Medium – XX-Large: 29-inch
Will my bike have a curved top tube?
Smaller frames (XXS-S) have a top tube that dips down as it approaches the seat tube. This design makes for a lower standover height, which is good for shorter riders because it allows them to straddle their bike more easily. The larger frames (M and up) have a straight top tube because taller riders with longer legs typically don’t have the same issues with standover height.
Due to supply-chain issues, Specs are subject to change without notice.
|Frame||Alpha Silver Aluminum, internal routing, chainstay disc brake mount, rack and kickstand mount, 135x5mm QR|
|Fork||SR Suntour XCE 28, coil spring, preload, 42mm offset for 27.5" wheel, 46mm offset for 29" wheel, 100mm QR, 100mm travel (XS = 80mm travel)|
|Rims||Bontrager Connection, double-wall, 32-hole, 20mm width, schrader valve|
Front: Formula DC-20, alloy, 6-bolt, 5x100mm QR
Rear: Formula DC-31, alloy, 6-bolt, 6/7/8 speed freewheel, 135x5mm QR
|Spokes||14g stainless steel|
XS, S = Bontrager XR2 Comp, wire bead, 30 tpi, 27.5 x 2.20"
M, ML, L, XL, XXL = Bontrager XR2 Comp, wire bead, 30 tpi, 29 x 2.20"
|Bottom Bracket||VP BC73, 73mm, threaded cartridge|
|Crankset||Shimano Tourney TY301, 42/34/24, 175mm length (XS, S, M = 170mm length)|
|Shifters||Shimano Altus EF500, 7-speed|
|Front Derailleur||Shimano Tourney TY300, 34.9mm clamp, down swing, down pull|
|Rear Derailleur||Shimano Tourney TY300, long cage, 34T max cog|
|Cassette/Freewheel||Shimano TZ500, 14-28, 7-speed|
|Chain||KMC Z7, 7-speed|
|Brakes||Tektro MD-M280 mechanical disc, 160mm rotor|
|Handlebars||Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, 5mm rise, 720mm width (XS, S = 690mm width)|
|Tape/Grips||Bontrager XR Endurance Comp, lock-on|
Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, Blendr compatible, 7 degree
XS = 50mm; S = 60mm; M = 70mm; ML, L = 80mm; XL = 90mm
|Seatpost||Bontrager alloy, 31.6mm, 12mm offset|
|Saddle||Bontrager Arvada, steel rails, 138mm width|
|Pedals||VP-536 nylon platform|
* Subject to change without notice.